03 March 2007

Blitzi

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The amazing invisible dog. That is Blitzi. She doesn't miss any runs with me, mostly because I can't bear to see the look on her face when I leave without her. We have had Blitzi for three years now and she has always run in swing position, on the right. Always. When I run the dogs, my eyes go up the gangline and down the gangline, much like people check their mirrors in their vehicle, to assess how the run is going. Tired dogs? Dogs not working? Tangles? Happy dogs? I never have to look at Blitzi. She's invisible. I have never met a more consistent, happy and eager to please dog.

I love all my dogs. A lot. But there are some that I have a closer bond with and Blitzi tops out that list. She will, I know but have never asked, do anything for me. We bought Blitzi from Gerry Willomitzer, who is, among other things, a Yukon Quest musher, and a good one at that. He bought Blitzi from William Kleedhan, who is also an accomplished Quest musher. To say that Blitzi is a better sled dog than I am a musher is not stretching the truth.

Blitzi is the mother of Dora, Jinx, Chili and Taiga. Their father is Jack, one of Gerry's Quest leaders.

No comments: